...In Space!

     So my dumbass has finally risen from the dead (aka my severe depression) and I'm here to go OFF about Dune. Dune has been something that fascinated me since the first time I saw the tail end of the 1984 movie adaption and those blue within blue eyes caught my attention. Of course, the title was pretty easy to remember and I soon found myself reading through the 1,000+ page book painfully fast. And so when I saw it was an option for my class, we all know that's the one I picked because I'm a sucker for the universe of Frank Herbert's stories.

     For those that don't know, Dune is basically politics but in space! Which makes it way cooler than it sounds, especially when things get WILD. But to save time, it pretty much focuses the Atreides family and their move to the planet Arrakis on the orders of the emperor. Of course, Arrakis is the only planet in which spice can be found but due to the difficulties associated with harvesting it, it is the rarest commodity around. This also makes the planet incredibly valuable despite the fact that the entire planet is purely desert crawling with worms of immense size. The kind of worms that are more like lampreys, with teeth made of crystals, mouths the size of football fields, near impenetrable skin, range anywhere in length from 1,300 ft - 9,200 ft, and exist everywhere on the planet where there is sand. And that's what makes things real spicy. Get it? Spicy! Haaaaa.


     Seriously though, I adore world building wherever I can find it and Dune is no exception to the fact. The cultural anthropolgy as well as relations to semi current events really help push the plot forward and helps immerse the reader as it's something they can relate to. A contention point for me though actually comes from the movie. Like, Chani is canonically mixed in the story but nooooooooooo, the actor playing her is white and boring honestly. Love yourself and search up some redesigns or fanart if you want to see more accurate portrayals. Plus it makes the stillsuits look way cooler. But speaking of stillsuits, I still adore the idea of them; they're so damn efficient that about 1% of water is lost throughout the day and they are vital for surviving the deserts of Arrakis. God I have so much more I want to go on about, but we'd be here all day and let's be real, neither of us have time for that. I feel like I should end on something profound but like, I fucking LOVE Dune. That's it. I have all the books. Go read it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ocean in Minnesota

Level 1 Monster Boyfriend: For Beginners

Cold Murder Hills