That New New Weird

Ah yes, if you'll notice, I'm making another post right on the heels of the last one. This means, it's midterm season and I'm trying to cover for my horribly depressed past self by working into a stress and anxiety induced frenzy. Mixed with more depression. And considering this was in my drafts for a week, that means that my depression has once again let me down and I'm turning in things late, surprise surprise.

Anyways, I thought it would be exciting to read "What the Moon Brings" by H.P. Lovecraft because I'm a fan of of the new weird and I've never really had a chance to read anything by Lovecraft. So hey, attacking two birds with one stone. The first thing I noticed was how the prose was rather difficult to wade through, although I think it was more the choice in diction than anything else. So to make a short story shorter, the main character walks through his garden in his dream with the landscape becoming more distorted until he reaches an unearthed ancient city and with it, an unearthed monster which he promptly flees by running into the water and the story ends.

This of course reminded me of one of my favorite games, Sunless Sea. In particular, there is an area called Kingeater's Castle that is surrounded by a multitude of statues aptly called the Sea of Statues. Reading through the story immediately caught my attention due to the similarities in the description. But while the reading didn't quite terrify me, that location in Sunless Sea really drives home the creep factor, the music is eerie, everything looks old and forgotten, and even worse, absolutely nothing is known about the place. It's just on the edge of the map and most of the actions there are horrifying and that's it.

So um, moral of this story, I'm a fool and atmospheric presentation is everything when it comes to weird horror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ocean in Minnesota

Level 1 Monster Boyfriend: For Beginners

Cold Murder Hills