Catching intergalactic rides? In this day and age?

I'm prefacing this one up front, nothing I type or say can ever be as inherently interesting as the actual source material cause I have yet to ascend to that level of wittiness. Or maybe I have, but that's as unlikely as me finding a backwards 2 symbol, I tried, and none of them looked right.


The funny stuff! After that last downer, some satire is honestly really appreciated. Of course to anyone reading this, there probably isn't much of a time difference between you reading that post and then this one. And surprise, it's cause there isn't. But talking about the state of affairs of things I actively think about stresses me out and gives me health problems, so we're gonna just shove that feeling painfully deep down and keep going!


You know, I'm not sure why I'm doing the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, when the best slice of media I've ever seen, Red Dwarf is totally a viable option. Actually you know what, I'm talking about Red Dwarf instead. Maybe if I drum up enough interest in it again, Netflix will have mercy and put it back on their service. Red Dwarf follows the titular crew of the ship the Red Dwarf as it slowly travels through the space. My main man Lister stages a plan to skip all of the work required on their trip and while confined in stasis, he wakes up 3 million years into the future with the rest of the ship dead from a radiation leak. All that remains is the onboard system Holly, a hologram of Rimmer, a "friend" of Lister's, and a genetically advanced cat named Cat.


The first episode came in 1988 but it's still just so damn funny to me, everything is played up for comedic effect and it geniunely works. Even with such a minimalist cast and a minimalist setting, it works fluidly. And then there's the occasional time travel shennanigans involving Lister's family. While I'm still not truly over HHGttG and the number 42 or Marvin the depressed Android, my heart belongs to Red Dwarf, not many things make me smile or laugh the way that show does, and I think I might actually try Samsung's Unspoil Me thing so I can watch it again and feel the same kind of joy I did when I first watched it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ocean in Minnesota

Level 1 Monster Boyfriend: For Beginners

Cold Murder Hills